Responsible Executive: Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- The Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) recognizes the need for the continued professional growth and development of all faculty in the TBR system, including at Motlow State Community College (Motlow State).
- The continued professional growth and development is necessary for Motlow State to
provide educational programs which:
- Include all new developments and knowledge in academic disciplines;
- Reflect new instructional, research, and public service techniques and strategies; and
- Meet the changing needs and expectations of students.
- While all faculty are responsible for their own continued professional development, it is essential that Motlow State provide planned, organized faculty development programs to encourage professional growth in accordance with its missions and goals.
- Motlow State will meet the following minimum guidelines concerning faculty development:
- Motlow State shall plan and implement on an annual basis a structured, coordinated
program for faculty development. The program will be designed to achieve predetermined
institutional objectives, and will utilize an appropriate variety of activities which
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Systematic evaluation of instruction by students, faculty, and appropriate administrators to provide bases for planning means of increasing the effectiveness of the instructional program.
- Encouragement of innovation and improvement of instruction by a recognition system, i.e., outstanding professor awards.
- Effective use of grants-in-aid and scholarships as described in TBR Guidelines;
- Provision of financial support through grant awards and other means for research or the improvement of instruction, for faculty participation in workshops, short courses, and seminars designed to develop new skills in instruction, research, and public service, and for faculty participation in major activities of their respective professional associations; and
- Sponsorships of local forums, lectures, and workshops on scholarly developments and activities.
- Instructional budgets will reflect the amount of funds allocated for faculty development at Motlow State.
- The office of the TBR Chancellor will also maintain a system level program for faculty development to supplement and enhance the faculty development programs at Motlow State.
- Motlow State shall plan and implement on an annual basis a structured, coordinated program for faculty development. The program will be designed to achieve predetermined institutional objectives, and will utilize an appropriate variety of activities which include, but are not limited to, the following:
Approved by the President’s Cabinet on February 20, 2007
Editorial update December 21, 2016
Revised: January 19, 2023
Institutional Oversight Committee Approved: June 7, 2023
Faculty Council Approved: March 23, 2023
President’s Cabinet Approved: June 21, 2023
TBR Academic Affairs Approved: August 16, 2023
Effective: February 20, 2007; August 16, 2023