Degree, Certification & Licensure
Kim-Sue Tudor, Ph.D. MT (ASCP)
MLT Program Director
Medical Laboratory Technology Education
Motlow State's third allied health program is Medical Laboratory Technology. The program offers an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in Medical Laboratory Technology. It is designed to prepare students to enter the work force as generalist Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLT). Students learn the theories, principles, and disease correlations behind clinical laboratory testing. Motlow State encourages you to further explore this dynamic profession and our MLT program.
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Technology Program at Motlow State involves the development of graduates possessing the technical competencies and workforce skills necessary for entry-level medical laboratory technicians. The Program emphasizes applied scientific theory and intensive technical proficiency to provide an instructive and comprehensive educational experience that is compliant with accreditation and professional standards at both the national and state levels. In keeping with the mission of Motlow State, the Program is committed to achieving a diverse student body acknowledging the strengths of many cultures, age groups and learning styles. Additionally, the Program endeavors to promote lifelong learning and public service and encourage continued positive contributions to clinical laboratory science and the inter-professional healthcare community.
Pursuant to its mission, the Motlow State Community College Medical Laboratory Technology Program upholds the following goals:
- The program will obtain and maintain full accreditation for the Medical Laboratory Technology Program by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
- The program will obtain and maintain licensure from the State of Tennessee Medical Laboratory Board.
- The program will graduate students in a timely manner.
- The program will graduate students with the ability to pass national certification examinations within a year of graduation.
- The program will graduate students with the ability to obtain state licensure within a year of graduation.
- The program will graduate students capable of obtaining employment within the healthcare industry.
- The program will graduate students with entry-level professional competencies to fulfill their role as medical laboratory technicians.
- The program will graduate students who are satisfied with the education they received from the Medical Laboratory Technology Program.
- The program will graduate student who render professional and personal service to patients, physicians, other laboratory professionals, and the community.