Academic Offerings Apply Now

Motlow State Community College
P.O. Box 8500
Lynchburg, TN 37352-8500
(931) 393-1500
1-800-654-4877

Moore County Campus History

In 1967, the 187-acre site for the main campus of Motlow College was donated by the Motlow family of Lynchburg, Tennessee. Ground was broken for this building project with a cost of approximately $2,700,000 at a ceremony in November 1967. Dr. Sam Ingram was appointed president of the college which opened in September 1969, with 551 students and 18 full-time faculty members. In 1983, a major campus expansion project was implemented including major renovation of the Student Center and construction of a new 280-seat theater/auditorium and instructional support areas for nursing and engineering.

In 1998, campus expansion was undertaken once again when ground was broken for construction of the new Nursing and Technology Building on the Moore County campus. The vision of providing a 21st Century facility with design options for preparing students for careers requiring new technology and enhancing current technology was realized when Motlow College was named among the "most wired campuses" by PC World magazine. In April 2001, the facility was dedicated and named the Marcum Technology Center. In July, 2006, Dr. MaryLou Apple became the fifth president of Motlow College. At this time the main campus continued expansion with the addition of the modern Clayton-Glass Library which opened in January, 2008.