PO Box 8500
Phone (931) 393-1754
Fax (931) 393-1854
off Hall Room 203
Internal Audit Frequently Asked Questions
I'm familiar with the state auditors - is internal audit the same thing?
No. The state auditors are employed by the Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury. Every other year they arrive on campus and perform a required external financial and compliance audit of the College's financial statements. The Motlow State Community College Internal Auditor is employed by the institution and has a dual reporting responsibility to the Motlow President and to the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Audit Committee and Board.
How do you decide what to audit?
There are some audits required by state law and/or TBR policy which we must perform on a periodic basis. Risk based audits are performed to assess whether risk management processes are managing risks effectively. Any shortages, thefts or missing equipment may also require an internal audit review, as may reports of fraud. Special audits and advisory consulting services may also be requested by management. At the beginning of each fiscal year, an Audit Plan is prepared which outlines the audits.
What can I do to make things easier for me when my department is involved in an audit?
- Know which policies apply to you and refer to them when making decisions.
- Separate duties of your employees so that they cross-check each other.
- Make sure all your records are accurate and reconcile your accounts timely.
- Write a short note to explain transactions and decisions so that you don't have to rely on your memory when an auditor asks "why did you do this?"
- Do your best to do the right thing and don't worry about trying to be perfect.
How long does my office have to retain its files and records?
The Tennessee Board of Regents has issued Guideline G-070 "Disposal of Records". Refer to this document when making any decisions about records disposal. https://policies.tbr.edu/guidelines/disposal-records.
What if I think someone's doing something wrong?
Several options are available to employees, students, and others for reporting known or suspected fraud, waste, or abuse.
You may report your concerns:
- To your supervisor or institution official
- To MSCC Office of Internal Audit at 931-393-1754 and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To the Tennessee Board of Regents Office of System-wide Internal Audit at 615-366-4441, by email at email@example.com, or at TBR's Fraud, Waste or Abuse Reporting Form
- To the Tennessee Comptroller's Hotline for Fraud, Waste and Abuse at 1-800-232-5454.
If you are a supervisor, department head, or campus official and you receive a report of fraud, waste, or abuse, do not investigate but contact Internal Audit at 931-393-1754 for assistance.