Financial Aid Office
(800) 654-4877 Ext. 1553
|School Code: 006836|
How to get your tax transcript from the IRS
Due to security concerns and possible identity theft the Internal Revenue Service de-activated the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) that allows students and parents to download tax information directly into the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The DRT is not expected to be functional again until October 2017. In an effort to be pro-active and allow students and parents to be prepared with needed tax information if selected for verification of the FAFSA, Motlow State is urging students and parents to order a copy of their 2015 Tax Return Transcript early and have it on hand if needed to complete the student's financial aid file. Students and Parents are strongly advised to be proactive in obtaining the tax return transcript in advance. We apologize for this unexpected inconvenience and know this will create some additional steps for our Motlow State families. For your convenience we have added the steps below for ordering the 2015 Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.
- Go to the IRS Transcript Website
- Select “Get Transcript ONLINE”
- Create an account (you will need to provide an email for the confirmation code)
- View and print the Verification of Non-filing Letter, Tax Account Transcript or/and Tax Return Transcript for the tax year requested.
- Call the IRS Transcript Order Line at 1-800-908-9946
- Select the preferred language
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their Social Security Number and the numbers in their street address that was listed on the latest tax return.
- If you are requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript, select “Option 2” and enter the appropriate year. Expect to receive within 10 business days from time of request.
- If you are requesting an IRS Tax Account Transcript, select “Option 3” and enter the appropriate year. Except to receive within 10 business days from time of request.
- IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter cannot be requested by phone. It must be requested either online or by mail.
Download and complete the form Form 4506-T and select which tax information you are requesting.